Wednesday 6 April 2011

you cut me off the staff photo because i wouldn't jump at a wall with a pen (2011)

sam and me

mixed media performance, including dog biscuits, pets at home uniform, ribbon.

A collabaration with Sam Le Bop Foxall-Fitzharris the dog

A reaction to being demoted at work following an incident at a team building day and having my Manager cut me from the staff photo when it was published. This piece represents both having my confidence stripped away and the positive effects of moving on/away from my job.

I deconstructed my uniform and then reconstructed it using ribbons with dog biscuits tied to the ends. The intention being that as the dog took the biscuits, the ribbons would be pulled out and my outfit would fall away piece by piece.

During the performance the dog quickly became bored with this game and it became a dynamic between me trying to tempt/play with the dog using the biscuits on the ribbons that I had pulled off myself. Although this changed the piece, I do not feel that it made the piece less relevant.

As the clothing fell away, it revealed a message written on my underclothes, the title of the piece 'you cut me off the staff photo because i wouldn't jump at a wall with a pen'

Afterwards I spent time playing with the dog using the uniform/biscuits and ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment