Tuesday 17 May 2011

ART FLOWS THROUGH MY BODY

For this performance piece I pushed cannulas through the skin on my arm and my upper chest, then hooked them up to saline bags filled with paint, so that the paint flowed through the cannula, also passing through a small part of my body.
 This process was an allegory of sorts, a representation of how art and inspiration for art flows through my body. When the paint spews out of my body, sometimes it misses the canvas (my dress) and is wasted.

 However I can direct the paint to a canvas and create visible marks with it, the art instead flows through my body, collecting heat and direction and becomes a physical manifestation, whether it be a painting, sculpture, performance or other intervention.
This is how I view my art, falling towards me in the form of inspirations and ideas, then passing through me, to either be channelled into my work or to spew on the floor, into nothingness and to be wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment